There are easy ways to avoid athlete’s foot (and other fungal infections such as nail fungus). Keeping your feet clean and dry is one of the most important prevention tips.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public changing rooms, showers and pools – wear flip-flops or sandals
- Always dry your feet carefully, especially between your toes
- Wear clean socks every day and change them if it’s hot or after playing sports
- Opt for cotton, silk or wool socks rather than synthetic ones
- Take your shoes off at home to let your feet 'breathe'
- Wear sandals when you can
- Wash towels frequently and do not share them
Avoid spreading the infection
Athlete’s foot is very contagious so be aware of others while you are infected. If you keep your feet protected and don’t share clothes, shoes and towels with others you’ll avoid spreading your infection. Remember to use different towels for your feet and the rest of your body, and always wash your hands after applying any treatment. This will help prevent spreading the infection to other parts of your body.
Did you know…
…fungal skin infections are in the top ten most common infections worldwide!